Wednesday, March 23, 2011

About me and my language.









My name is Syeda Fatima. I am from Pakistan. I would like to share something about myself. I graduated from Karachi University in Pakistan. During my studies, I took various courses relating to art. Pot painting, glass painting, cloth painting and candle making. I have experience in teaching both pot painting and candle making. I love art and working with students. I have picked up many fresh ideas from my students while teaching them.

My mother tongue is Urdu and I have a good command of the Urdu language. I know five languages - Urdu, Persian (Farsi), Hindi, Arabic and English. I have the ability to speak, write and read in Urdu, Persian and English. I know how to read and write Arabic and I can speak a little bit. I can speak Hindi very well but cannot read or write.

I have had work experience with an Urdu magazine called Al Amir which means The King. That was a great experience because I was on the editorial board and my responsibilities were to choose articles and to proof read.

I love to talk in different languages. Because of languages we become closer and understand each other. I prefer to write in English now a days. Before I came to the USA, I preferred to speak and write in my own language, Urdu, because it was easier for me to express my feelings. Now a days I prefer to write in English for my academic work.

I love my mother tongue and I know many good Urdu speaking poets and authors. Urdu is a very polite and sweet language because it is a combination of Persian, Arabic, Turkish and Hindi. A few months ago I was teaching Urdu in New York. People loved Urdu and they wanted to learn. I decided that when I have time I will start Urdu classes again. I would like to learn other languages after I have finished with my English classes.

I’ve done a research course in the Qur’an and about my Asian culture. After this course, I had the opportunity to speak in public. I decided to work as a social worker. I have had almost five years experience with non-profit organizations. My focus is on education. At the same time, I have met a lot of people and had a great learning experience about life. During that time, I was determined to do work in the education field. I have realized that there is only one solution for peace and a good life – that is to provide children & adults with good education.

When I came to USA , I started working with older people and also in the non-profit sector. I have many problems communicating to others because of the language barrier. Now a days I am learning English and also learning about different cultures. I think New York is the best place to learn about people from all over the world because this is a global city. My goal is to do Masters in social work.

I love movies, talking to people, going to museums, parks, libraries, different restaurants and exploring the human mind. I want to intake the good things people have to offer me. I live in Manhattan with an elderly lady. She is treasure for me. She has lots of life experiences.

I am far away from my family and friends. I miss them so much but feel very lucky because of modern technology. I talk to my family every day and share my experiences with them.

























2 comments:

  1. Hi Syeda,

    This is a wonderful blog post with so much information! That is so wonderful that you can speak so many languages. I also think that your experiences with editing art, teaching Urdu, and helping people will really provide you with a rich basis for whatever you do next in life!

    One thing about your blog post - it is written in black and the background is also black, so no one can read it. I could read it only by highlighting the text. Try to fix the background color (template) you have chosen to fix this problem.

    ReplyDelete